The Real Thing: The Life of Ian McTaggart Cowan, Father of Canadian Ecology
- The Real Thing: The Life of Ian McTaggart Cowan, Father of Canadian Ecology
- On September 29, join Wildsight Invermere for an evening presentation focused on McTaggarts Kootenay journeys.
- Sep 29, 2016 from 07:00 PM (Canada/Mountain / UTC-600)
- CPR Lodge, 1720 4 Ave, Invermere, BC
- Visit external website
- Add event to calendar
Ian McTaggart Cowan (1910–2010), revolutionized the way North Americans understood the natural world and is known as the “father of Canadian ecology.” He was ahead of his time in addressing issues such as climate change and endangered species. Some of his many milestones included:
- Founding the first Canadian university wildlife department;
- Pioneering nature-based television shows;
- Helping to spearhead wildlife conservation and environmental education in Canada’s national parks.
Victoria based author and professor, Briony Penn‘s biographical tribute to McTaggart Cowan, The Real Thing, unravels “the secret life” of Ian McTaggart Cowan and the animals and landscapes that he studied. Having recently won the BC Book Award, Briony Penn is taking “The Real Thing: The Natural History of Ian McTaggart Cowan” on tour.
Join Wildsight Invermere for an evening presentation focused on McTaggarts Kootenay journeys or head out on a nature walk and learn about journaling as a tool for connecting with nature.
Book Tour: Thursday September 29, 7 pm at the CPR Lodge (1720 4 Ave, Invermere)
Journaling Nature Walk: Saturday October 1, 3 - 5 p m. Meet at the Wilmer Community Hall to carpool to Lake Enid.