Paddle for the Peace
- Paddle for the Peace
- Join us on July 11, 2015, as we celebrate and support the protection of the Peace River.
- Jul 11, 2015 from 09:00 AM to 10:00 PM (Canada/Pacific / UTC-700)
- Peace River Valley, BC
- Visit external website
- Add event to calendar
Join us to celebrate maintaining the integrity of the Peace River Valley at this unique event. Bring your canoes, kayaks or rafts and participate in a leisurely paddle down a portion of the incredibly scenic Peace River Valley, presently under threat by the proposed Site C dam.
Renowned scientist David Suzuki will speak at the event. Other confirmed speakers include:
- Grand Chief Stewart Phillip, Union of BC Indian Chiefs
- Richard Bullock, Former Chair, BC Agricultural Land Commission
- Chief Roland Willson, West Moberly First Nations
- Lana Popham, New Democrat Opposition Critic for Agriculture and Food
Even if you don’t have watercraft, please feel free to join us on shore at the launch or takeout.
When: Saturday, July 11th, 2015
Registration: In person, at the event 9:00 to 11:30 a.m.
$10 per person; 13 and under free.
Launch: 12 noon at the Halfway River Bridge on Hwy 29 between Fort St. John and Hudson’s Hope.
Free Breakfast: 9 – 11 a.m. at the launch site.
Take out: Bear Flat on Hwy 29, approximately 1.5 hr paddle downstream of the launch site. (There is a shuttle bus available to bring you back to get your vehicle from the launch site.)
Free BBQ Lunch: At the takeout site at Bear Flat.
This event is organized and sponsored jointly by the Peace Valley Environment Association, West Moberly First Nations and the Halfway River First Nations.